While the summer happens (as it is not something given here in Scandinavia, but can only happen once in a while), there are always many things to do. We all rush to experience and enjoy.
Then this idea popped up in my mind: to write a list of things I like doing on a summer day. Maybe, when it suddenly happens, I am better prepared 🙂 Or just to express my love for Oslo in summer.
So here is a simple to-do list. This can be done another place too, of course.
- to eat an ice cream. Every day there is a summer day, I allow myself to eat an ice cream. My favorites are these two: the best Italian gelato parlor in town: Paradis, and the humble Krone is, typical Norwegian, which can be bought in any kiosk or supermarket.
- to go swimming, chilling and people watching on Sørenga, the new neighborhood behind the Opera, with the easy access to water
- to admire flowers in the flower shops
- to sneak into a koloni hage and get the atmosphere of Norwegian summer hygge
- to take a boat to the islands
- to grill in the park with friends
- to enjoy a drink on the terrace
- to ride a city bike or your Vespa
walk to Sørenga
to the islands
in the Nordic gardens
grilling and chilling
all people’s bbq park
this popular blue bike
summer night vibes
the time to roll it
(you can click on any image to view it in full size)
The soundtrack to this can be a song «Bysommer» (City summer) by Lillebjørn Nilsen. He sings about how good the summer in the city can be while all the stressed people left for Mallorca and those who stayed have no more obligations than to water the flowers for the aunt.
The city summer in Oslo can be a real charm. It is the time for the fellesferie , the common holidays, when all people travel to some sunny places. And I find it a pity because Oslo is at its most charming in summer. I’d better spend the summer with shifting weather here and leave during the winter (maybe, they do both :)).
How is your place during summer? Do you fancy summer there – or is it better to leave for some really vacation location?