The soul is asking for color while the world outside is black and white. It’s been weeks since we’ve seen the sun. And then it popped out – for the whole day. Luckily, that day was Sunday so everyone took his skis and went skiing. We went for a walk around the lake Sognsvann, with hundreds of other sun-thirsty souls, who created a traffic jam around the parking space. But it was ok because – the sun! The nature in winter is so beautiful, I was sighing with regret of not having taken my camera with me, while simultaneously freezing my toes off. I didn’t check Facebook that day but I am sure it was full of happy sunny pictures with a capture like “ut på tur, aldri sur” which means “out for the walk, never sour” (a very well-used phrase that has become a cliche, but people still use it – without irony).
As I went to check the winter sale and see what’s new in the shops (my favorite activity), I was so happy to discover multiple shades of pink and red on display. At last! At last we can throw off our gray and black clothes this spring season. Norwegian street style is very careful in color palette, and it is great when fashion makes us wear red and pink. Some years ago it was considered way too girlish. Now it is officially in, and my inner child, who has never had a Barbie in her life, is rejoicing. Let’s rock that Barbie style! Let’s bring color to the streets!
It has been a while since I made a post for my hashtag “5 things”. I can’t even remember the last time. April? But these days I got inspired by the pretty details at home and collected them for this post. The most color-hunting I did at home was for pink (are you surprised? Me not). I hope also to go out for some color-hunting and share it with you. But for now let’s enjoy the small pleasures of inside life which feels so natural to lead in the winter season.
- Let’s start with my favorite thing, a postcard from Barcelona. Its quote is my favorite phrase right now, my mental tattoo: “We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we have only one”. True true. I know it better than anyone because lately I have come to realize how much of my life I spent without grace and gratitude, complaining, expecting and playing a victim – which ugh, makes me regret that so much. But at least I have learnt. Learnt from my own mistakes, repeated them not once or twice, but hundreds of times so that I can learn and never forget 🙂 That the life is only one, and that complaining is not effective, but own action even of small steps is effective, and that enjoying can not be rescheduled for later, and that it is the small things that count, and that love saves everything. Those small wisdoms that you can be bombarded by in form of quotes on Facebook – but that you never understand before they sink into your heart. Maybe, I will write more on that later. Now I just want to stop and appreciate those tiny beauties that give me joy on these black-and-white days.
2. I love the design of this scent bottle, it is so feminine and French to me. And I especially loved the shadow which I have seen for the first time. Today the sun is peeping through the clouds, sending its rays into this corner that has not seen light in the past two months. And by the way, since the weather got milder and the snow is melting, I get a spring feeling in my body. I know, it is way too early to think of the spring because in Norway March is also a winter month, so two more winter months to go. But the hope is there. Especially when I hear the chirping of birds outside my window…
3. My next thing I like is not a thing, but a total corner at the shelf beside my bed. I like the pile of books which I read in bed. “Mindfulness” and “Mademoiselle Chanel” in English, “Spionen” (the Spy) by P. Coelho in Norwegian, “The Artist’s Way” by Julia Cameron in Russian. And “A Paris Year” by Janice MacLeod – in pictures 🙂 Well, “I read” is a loud statement, I read more on my kindle (and my phone, oi, and not books). In bed I read a couple of pages. So that corner is pretty eternal, hehe. And then I love the bag of dried lavender and a lavender oil from Croatia. Whenever I sniff them, I recollect my summers in Rovinj, salsa festival, my yoga retreat in Hvar, and oh those beautiful times…
4. More pink – a cup for my collection of brushes. I had once a fast romance with beauty tutorials on Youtube and shopped all kinds of brushes and some excessive beauty products. Luckily, I haven’t gone too far, and most of the products are in use. The cup came from the store “Søstrene Grene” (I guess, it is Danish). Everyone loves it, or at least I love it :), for finding pretty things for home or hobby, with nice design and modest price tag. Is it known to you?
5. I love my collection of cups! Almost every one of them has its own story. But this new year I felt that I need a new coffee cup, and on my shop browsing tour I discovered this light pink sweetie with a cactus. It combines all the fresh trends: feminine pink, eco green living. I am a fan of both, I think, these are great values. Feminism which can wear pink and be girly while clear – and the trend of plants and urban jungle. Like that Urban Jungle Blog on Instagram. I am very glad about this trend, hope it will not only draw us towards buying cactuses for our homes, but also that it can draw our focus towards trees and plants of this planet. I am also inspired to buy more cactuses for my home – but so far this pink cup. A morning coffee reminder 🙂
If you have any objects at home that give you a boost of joy of inspiration right now – let me know in the comments! Sometimes the collection of ideas is better than a collection of things – so we all could get richer by sharing our riches 🙂
Have a lovely last week of January, people! The spring is near 🙂 Can you feel it?